Everything, at age 26 months, is "mine" to my daughter. Her brother's toys. The dogs' bones. My shoes. The weekly Target ad. Even the tampon I'm trying to use at that moment. Everything is hers, including everything that's not.
She can throw a tantrum into gear quicker than I can. Okay, maybe not. But the two of us in the same room is sometimes a nasty combination. I wanted a moment this afternoon to talk to DH on the phone, and the only space I could call my own was the bathroom. I tricked her into leaving the bathroom, and quickly shut the door to her "I talk Daddy, too" whining. She went to full-on screaming and kicking in a split second.
DH finally got to hear the wrath of Mommy. I told her to sit in her chair. She told me no. I put her in her chair, she screamed no. She got out of her chair, I put her back, more screaming. She was put in her room, where she continued her kicking and screaming for the rest of my phone call, and an additional 5 minutes, until she sounded calm enough for me to talk to her.
I open the door, to hear a little meek voice between gasping crying breaths, "Mommy, a-d'airs me?" (Translate: Mommy, can I go downstairs?) And she just wanted to be held. And I just held her, stroked her back, hugged and kissed her until she was calmed down.
Is this what it's all about?
3 comments:
Simon is the same way lately. He has spent a LOT of time on his bed getting himself together!
I remember Ben being REALLY challenging at this age, but I don't remember him throwing huge tantrums like this constantly. So this is new territory! I do like the scene you just described though where they have calmed down and just want a hug. That's enough to make it not quite so bad. ;)
Did you see Lynne's comment on my FB the other day about tantrums? HA! She needs some kids. ;) LOL!
I believe the terrible twos are the worst! I have spent the last few weeks on my son's floor because he refuses to let me leave until he goest to sleep because he is afraid of the dark. Fun. then to top it off, we deal with "that's mine" too! He completely forgot the sharing thing, and all this while I finally got Izzy to an age where she is so cool and I cant even enjoy it. Long time not talk, we need to have drinks soon!
It's only temporary, it's only temporary. Just keep repeating to yourself. ;) We're all going through it. Abby's not too bad yet, but it's definitely coming. I can see the tamtrums she does have getting worse and worse. Oy.
Erin, I thought the same thing when I read Lynne's comment. It made me laugh out loud.
Post a Comment