Thursday, July 9, 2009

My giant.

A few weeks ago, back before vacation, back when we were motivated to get out of the house, we took a walk around our neighborhood. I had the little-big man in the Bjorn, and the girl was attempting to ride her new bike (really, Daddy was just pushing her on it, and getting really frustrated because she couldn't even steer for herself).

We happened upon a couple walking with their dog and a tiny girl sitting up in a stroller, looking wide-eyed at the world around her. We said 'hi' and starting chatting about the kiddos. They asked how old the little-big man was, and I said "3 months". They were (obviously) astounded by his size and replied about their daughter "She's two."

I really thought they had a dwarf child. There's no way that girl was two unless she was a primordial dwarf or something (not that there's anything wrong with that). And she really looked like she could be. I looked at my daughter, I bounced my son in the Bjorn. Jesus, I can't imagine what it would be like having a two year old that small.

Oh, right, they meant two MONTHS old. I don't know what's worse, that I'm a freaking idiot that can't keep up with the conversation, or that I really thought their daughter was a dwarf.

Yeah, that's right. I'm awesome.

4 comments:

Becky said...

LMAO!

Unknown said...

ROFL!!!!

On another note, are you getting sick and tired of the big baby comments yet? I remember once, I was carrying Simon around in the vestibule at church to keep him quiet... he was two months old. Some cranky old lady said asked how old he was and I answered. She goes, "Well that baby LOOKS like a six-month old!!" No, "Oh, he's precious." or "So sweet...." Just "He's HUGE!" Annoying... Now with strangers and their initial comments, his size seems to take a backseat to his hair... but they always do eventually come back to how big he is.

Bitter Mom said...

Yeah, we just usually beat them to the punch. Rather than hear it from them, when they ask how old he is, we usually reply "How old does he look?" And then we reply with his age, and say he's really big. (And we usually call him a tank or 'tubby') Then people usually say he's not fat, he's just big. :-)

I'm quite tired (as is my back) of his size!!

I'm actually more tired of the "Wow, you've got your hands full!" comments. Yes, I suppose I do, but I think I'm managing just fine, and I certainly don't feel like I'm overwhelmed (okay, sometimes I do, but I don't feel like I show it when I'm out in public!)

Sarah said...

LMAO!!!! This blog made my day!!!!

And if makes you feel better, my cousin - everytime she took Logan out - got asked "is he yours??" or "when did you have another one" The follow up questions to "is he yours" - the answer was no, my cousins - "but he's asian" - she's korean - "but he has red hair" - his father is Irish - "Oh" and then just stares!!!!

And I'm sorry some people are stuck on the "huge" baby thing - we got it as well and I didn't think Logan was big, even though we called him "Somo" - I guess it goes along with him being a red/blonde/brown headed asian kid!!!