Saturday, November 7, 2009

Because I'm Mental...

I can't help but feel personally snubbed by my neighbor. The week before Halloween, I called said neighbor and left her a message to invite her son over to play with DD. We had previously talked about taking our kids trick-or-treating together as well. She never called back, nor did they stop by to play. On Halloween, when the kids started coming around, and since I still hadn't heard from the neighbor, I hurried the kids out the door and headed to her house. (Meanwhile, I was sick as hell, but I thought it would be fun for our kids to go out together. And DD was talking about it for days.)

She was there handing out candy, but her husband had taken the kids out already. Poor DD spent the time walking around our neighborhood talking about her little friend. We made our way around, skipping any house where we had to climb steps due to DD's costume limitations, and me hacking up a lung along the way, finally catching up to her friend. Despite my best attempts with my failing voice to get her friend's dad's attention, they kept moving on without a word to us, and DD then announced she had to go potty. I picked her up and carried her home, struggling and hacking while pushing DS in the stroller.

We made it home and by then I was spent. DH took the kids back out to hit the few houses I promised to return to, and I handed out candy (and germs, I'm sure). The kid and his dad finally came around, his dad saying something like he saw us earlier around the block.

I felt so bad for promising DD that she would go trick-or-treating with the kid. She still asks what he's going to be for Halloween. I still have not heard from the kid's mom. She's having some at-home sales "party" tomorrow, for which I said I was going to go, but I've since sent her an email canceling. I do actually have other plans now anyway. And I can't afford to buy anything, nor do I feel like hanging out with a bunch of other women who I don't know. And I think she hates me anyway.

Is it bad I'm dreading now seeing her at the school bus stop in 3 years when DD starts school? :P

2 comments:

meg said...

I would hope in 3 years time that all would be settled. In the meantime, kill her with kindness.

Bitter Mom said...

Totally. In my regret email about her party, I invited her & her son to play again. :)